Schuyler Quackenbush, PhD
, is an expert in Speech and Audio Processing and Compression
, and in Media Streaming
. In addition, he is an expert in MPEG, ETSI and 3GPP speech, and audio standards.
Dr. Quackenbush has more than 30 years of professional experience in engineering and engineering consulting, including more than 15 years as Member of Technical Staff at Bell Laboratories and AT&T Laboratories. He has authored over 30 technical articles, books, book chapters and conference papers and is a named inventor on 22 Patents
in the U.S. and one in Canada. He is currently Principal Consultant at Audio Research Labs, Faculty at New York University and Chair of the MPEG Audio subgroup.
- Dr. Quackenbush has more than 10 years of experience as a patent expert witness in more than 17 matters. He has been retained for both plaintiff and defense in matters including Infringement, Non-infringement, and Petition for Inter Partes Review
. In this work, he has written more than 25 expert reports , been deposed more than 12 times, and testified in court (jury trial).
Areas of Expertise
- Speech and audio digital signal processing (DSP)
- Speech and audio signal compression
- Speech and audio compression standards: MPEG MP3, MPEG AAC, MPEG HE-AAC, MPEG Surround, MPEG Spatial Audio Object Coding (SAOC), MPEG Unified Speech, and Audio Coding (USAC); 3GPP aacPlus, Enhanced aacPlus, AMR, AMR-WB, AMR-WB+; ETSI GSM
- Measurement of speech and audio signal quality: Mean Opinion Scores, ITU-T and ITU-R quality standards
- Operating Systems: Linux, MS Windows (hardware drivers and GUI)
- Programming Languages: C and C++, Matlab, shell, various assembly languages
- Web Languages: HTML, PHP, MySQL