Joseph A. Hlavin, PhD, PA-C
has 27 years of surgical experience as a Physician Assistant in Neurological Surgery
. Dr. Hlavin originally became NCCPA board certified as a Physician Assistant in 1992 and re-certified in 1998, 2004, 2010, and 2015. He has held licensure in both the state of Michigan and the state of Oklahoma. He is presently licensed in the state of Texas.
Dr. Hlavin has been in the practice of neurosurgery since 1991. He has been involved in the training of physician assistants enrolled at the University of Oklahoma and Grand Valley State University in Michigan as a clinical preceptor. He is currently a Clinical Instructor for the TAMHSC College of Medicine and the Founding Program Director of the developing PA program at Texas A&M University College of Medicine. He continues as the director for the Texas A&M Health Science Center Postgraduate Physician Assistant Residency in Neurosurgery and precepts physician assistant students from both national and state PA graduate programs.
Dr. Hlavin has held several appointments:
- Physician Assistant liaison to Membership Committee, American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Physician Assistant liaison to Scientific Program Committee of the AANS
- Physician Assistant liaison to the Executive Committee, Joint section of Neurotrauma and Critical Care
- President of the Association of Neurosurgical Physician Assistants (ANSPA)
Dr. Hlavin is a veteran of the United States Navy receiving an honorable discharged in 1990 after serving over 6 years as a hospital corpsman. He was awarded the Navy Achievement Medal, Good Conduct Medal, and ribbons for service overseas and Meritorious Unit Commendation.
- Joseph A. Hlavin, PhD, PA-C has experience as an expert witness on several cases regarding postoperative complications in spine surgery. His services are available to counsel representing Plaintiff and Defendant and include medical record review, written reports, depositions, and trial testimony.
Areas of Expertise
- Surgical Assistant
- Surgical First Assistant
- Spinal Surgery
- Brain Surgery
|Postoperative Spine ComplicationsNeurological Surgery MalpracticeSpinal Surgery MalpracticeTraumatic Brain Stem Injury (TBI / TBSI)Neuro Oncology|