John H. Bickel, PhD
is a Nuclear Engineer
with 39 years of professional experience in the United States and International Nuclear Power Industry.
Dr. Bickel is internationally recognized as an expert in the Analysis, Simulation, Design, Licensing, Operation, and Performance Evaluation
of nuclear power plants, nuclear electrical systems, instrumentation and control systems - and most recently with licensing digital I&C upgrades. He served nine years as a line manager in a USNRC licensed nuclear utility and five years as a department manager in a USDOE laboratory. He recently served as the Chairman of the OECD Nuclear Energy Agency Working Group on Defense in Depth of Electrical Systems (2008-2012). Dr. Bickel is a Member of the ANS/ASME Joint Standards Committee on Nuclear Risk Management and the IEEE Standards Association.
Dr. Bickel's recent litigation support includes Expert Evaluations associated with contractual and national licensing requirements for Digital I&C Systems before the International Court of Arbitration (ongoing) and evaluation of liability claims associated with nuclear reactor shutdowns (ongoing). He has testified in USNRC licensing and enforcement proceedings associated with Millstone 1, Millstone 3, and Prairie Island 1,2.
Areas of Expertise
- Nuclear Reactors (BWR, PWR, VVER, RBMK)
- Nuclear System Reliability
- Probabilistic Risk Assessment
- Instrumentation & Control Systems
- Nuclear Electrical Standards
|Nuclear Reactor SimulationNuclear RegulationNuclear Safety AnalysisNuclear Power Plant Electrical SystemsNuclear Power Plant Licensing|
View Dr. Bickel's Consulting Profile
- United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission (USNRC)
- United States Department of Energy (USDOE)
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
- Lithuanian State Atomic Energy Safety Inspectorate (VATESI)
- MITRE Corporation
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- Swedish Nuclear Power Safety Inspectorate (SKI)
- French Inst. For Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety (IRSN)