- Keep your target audience in mind AT ALL TIMES and write your content
for their wants and needs. Make sure to give them the information on who,
what, where, when, why and how.
- Readability: Don�t use too much jargon or technical language. Write in
clear, simple, layman�s terms or your target audience won�t know what you
are talking about!
- Take the time to do thorough research on your keywords and keyword
phrases. (Use a tool like WordTracker to help you.)
- Be specific. If you run a travel site specializing in European guided
tours, then your keywords should be more specific than simply "travel" or
"Europe." Broad keywords are very competitive�you have a better chance at a
higher ranking with specific phrases.
- Know your competition. If they rank above you in search engine results,
you may have something to learn from them! View their source code and
consider their keywords, meta tags, etc.
- Create effective page titles. Be succinct (less than75 characters) but
include as many keywords as possible. Do NOT use the same title for every
- Use formatting to your advantage. Elements such as bold/italic type and
bulleted lists not only make your copy much easier for your readers to
navigate but also makes search spiders assign a higher value to your words.
Just don�t go overboard!
- A site map is a valuable tool because it creates a single document with
a link to every other page on your site. This will increase the likelihood
that search spiders will index all pages of your site.
- Don�t be too quick to change your copy if you are not receiving the
results you expected right away. Give your text a few months to help your
site climb the rankings. Re-evaluate if your site is stagnant for a long
period of time.
- If you feel uncomfortable with any of the above, ask a professional for
Howard Irizarry is the Director of Marketing & Public Relations at Miles Computer Forensics, the leader in Forensic and Technology Consulting, offering nationwide service to law firms, government agencies, regulators, corporations and their general counsel. Visit our Marketing & Public Relations website at http://mmpr.milestechnologies.com for more information or call us at (800)496-8001.
See Miles Computer Forensics' Listing on Experts.com.
©Copyright 2000-2007 - All Rights Reserved
DO NOT REPRODUCE WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION BY AUTHOR.