Elayne Angel has over 20 years of extensive experience in the Body Piercing Industry
. She is known as a pioneer in the field, and a consummate professional revered for knowledge, skills and ethics in the areas of Piercing Techniques, After Care and Healing, and Placements
. Ms. Angel has performed over 40,000 piercings since her career began in the 1980s, when she became manager of the first piercing specialty studio in the United States.
Ms. Angel is the author of The Piercing Bible--The Definitive Guide to Safe Piercing
and the President for the Association of Professional Piercers (APP). Ms. Angel owned and operated her own studio in New Orleans for over 12 years, but closed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. It was the only licensed body art studio in the French Quarter. She also helped to promulgate legislation and train health inspectors on piercing and tattooing for the state of Louisiana.Awards & Contributions
Medica Coverage & Recognition
- President's Award for a Lifetime of Contributions by the APP in 2006
- First wearer of body art to receive a registration from the U.S. Patent and Trademark office
- Credited as a piercing pioneer by Gauntlet, BMEzine, and others
- Re-wrote/Edited APP Procedure Manual (Definitive Guide for Safe, Sanitary Piercing Practices)
- Pens the monthly "Ask Angel" column for Pain Magazine
- Piercer to popular rock star, Lenny Kravitz
- Taught numerous classes at the APP conferences in Las Vegas & Amsterdam
- Featured in the 2003 MTV special, "A Social History of Body Piercing"
- Spoke to of medical professionals such as: Association of periOperative Nurses (AORN) & HIV/AIDS Health Educators of Louisiana
- Presented at Student Health Centers in Colleges and Universities
- Appeared in a numerous books such as The Illustrated Woman & Modern Primitives
- Interviewed in varied publications (The National Enquirer, Sun, Rolling Stone, Us Magazine, etc.)
- Appeared on various TV, radio, & news broadcasts
- Photos have been used on book and album covers, and in print media ads for music CDs, computer products, cars, laser tattoo removal, & more
Piercing pioneer Elayne Angel has performed over 40,000 piercings since the 1980s and has brought many practices, such as tongue-piercing, into the mainstream. She brings her exhaustive knowledge to this groundbreaking manual that covers everything you need to know about the process, including. . .