James E. Fitzgerald
has over 35 years of global experience creating value in the Real Estate and Hospitality Sectors
Mr. Fitzgerald is a highly skilled negotiator with deep expertise in consulting, finance, due diligence, loan origination, asset management, acquisitions, divestitures and workouts. He is a professional with an expansive network of relationships throughout the private equity, investment banking, real estate, legal, and hospitality communities.
From 2006 to 2016, Mr. Fitzgerald served as Managing Director of Hotel Investments for Principal Global Investors. In this role, he created and executed a hotel investment program for Principal Real Estate Investors of over $4 billion. Mr. Fitzgerald led Principal’s efforts as JV partner on 1002 room JW Marriott Resort in San Antonio- $500 million project and exceeded budget for seven consecutive years. Over the course of his career, he has:
- Advised on over $10 billion of hospitality transactions
- Originated billions in hotel mortgage debt: CMBS, whole, and mezzanine Loans
- Founded and successfully grew a national investment and advisory practice
- Provided advisory and due diligence services to private equity firms and major hospitality corporations and hotel owners
- James Fitzgerald and his team at Dauntless Hospitality Advisors provide attorneys with sound knowledge as they represent owners, lenders, managers, and brands. Services could address:
View James Fitzgerald's Consulting Profile
- Bankruptcy / Workouts
- Operational Matters
- Owner / Operator Relationships
- Management and Franchise Agreement Issues
|Asset ManagementMarket AnalysisValuationCapital Structure|
As an operating business without the benefit of long term leases, hotels can be volatile. With a perishable inventory of rooms to be sold each night, sophisticated marketing tactics are critical. In good times, it is easy to make money; however, as the economy slows, and new supply enters the market, cash flows lessen, and tensions rise. This is particularly true for overleveraged hotels.