James J. Shields, PE - Mechanical EngineerEngineering & Consulting Services
based on over 45 years experience in the design, startup, and trouble-shooting of: piping systems, fluid machinery and auxiliary equipment (pumps, compressors, storage tanks, heat exchangers, filters, separators, valves) instrumentation, and controls in utility and industrial power plants.
Expert Witness Investigations / Reports / Testimony
: Gaseous and Liquid fuels; Fuel Delivery Trucks; Natural Gas and Propane Systems and Storage Tanks; Residential / Commercial Oil and Gas-fired: Boilers, Furnaces, Heaters; Air Conditioning Plants; Electric Generators; Concrete Pumping Apparatus and Hoses; Domestic and Commercial Appliances; Water Softeners.
: Natural Gas/Propane Explosions; Boilers; Furnaces; Hot Water Heaters; Pumps; Piping/Hoses/Plumbing; Automatic Control Devices; Log Splitters; Appliances - Gas Ranges, Washers, Dryers, Water Chillers.
Selected Litigation Experience
- Failures of combustion turbines
- Pumping of concrete where delivery line separated, causing serious injury
- Gasoline delivery truck where delivery line ruptured, resulting in fuel igniting causing serious injury
- Residential central air conditioning plant
- Two gasoline delivery trucks being simultaneously unloaded, which caught fire, resulting in a fatality
- Failed industrial baking oven at a large supermarket chain in New Jersey
- Residential natural gas explosions in Pennsylvania and New Jersey
- Failures of filters, hydraulic pistons/accumulators, hoses, and tube fittings, etc.
Case Synopsis - A family wanted to add a self-contained heater for their home living room for use upon the loss of in-home AC (Alternating Current) power. They went to a nearby Home & Building Supply store to select and purchase a heater. The store salesman recommended a kerosene heater, which could provide independent heat upon a loss of power. The salesman recommended a kerosene heater rated at 23,000 BTU/Hour, and as a feature of the heater sale, he assembled the heater and provided brief operating instructions on its use.