Prof. William J. Warfel, PhD, CPCU, CLU, specializes in Insurance and Risk Management. Currently on faculty at Indiana State University, his subjects have included Property / Liability Insurance, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Introduction to Risk and Insurance, Commercial Liability Insurance, and Insurance Seminars.
Dr. Warfel is widely published in applied, professional journals. He has formally agreed to make a presentation concerning the “Application of the Separation of Insureds Condition” to the Indianapolis Bar Association as part of its Continuing Education Program (Winter Symposium, Indianapolis Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Section) for its members on December 9, 2021.
Dr. Warfel is a Member of the Board of Directors Overseeing the Development and Use of a Monetary Investment Software Tracking System for the purpose of holding contractors and subcontractors connected to construction projects accountable, and protecting the insurable interest of banks who finance these construction projects. He has also participated as a panelist in a plenary session sponsored by the United Campus Ministries, and the
Indiana State University Center for Economic Education. The title of this session was, “Healthcare Reform: Industry Implications, Insurance Complications, and the Economics of it All.”
Insurance Industry Studies:
- Commissioned by the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC), to prepare an Issues Analysis paper concerning legislative expansion of policyholder remedies for first party bad faith. Prf. Warfel's role was to present the legal landscape concerning first-party bad faith law across the United States.
- Commissioned by Networks Financial Institute at Indiana State University to draft a working paper concerning issues related to insurance regulatory reform.
- Commissioned by the Coalition for Quality, Affordable Housing to conduct a study concerning why reliance on litigation to resolve disputes relating to alleged construction defects has contributed to a price/availability problem with respect to contractors liability insurance in California.
- Completed a faculty internship with Safeco Insurance Companies, the purpose of which was to examine the response of state legislatures to disruption in property insurance markets that occurs in the aftermath of a natural disaster, and examine the need for federal reinsurance.
- Commissioned by State Farm Fire and Casualty Insurance Company to conduct a study concerning the impact of natural disasters on insurers and the insurance marketplace.
View Dr. William Warfel's Expert Witness Profile.
The purpose of this teaching case study is (1) to present an illustrative first-party legal case in which the author was retained as a testifying expert witness by a plaintiff attorney, and reference how it can be used in the classroom to illustrate important IRM concepts in an introductory, undergraduate, IRM course, and (2) encourage