- Provides treated water to approximately 19,000 customers and raw water to approximately 6,000 customers
- Operates as an independent special district operated by and for the people who own land within its 287,000-acre boundaries
- Collects water on over 70,000 acres of high mountain watershed and owns and operates an extensive reservoir and canal system and network of water treatment plants
- Has 7 power plants that generate enough electricity to supply the equivalent of more than 60,000 homes
- Has a generation capacity of 82.2 megawatts, produces an average 375 million kilowatt hours of energy each year and sells its electrical output
- Owns and operates several outdoor public recreation facilities located adjacent to some of its reservoirs
- Maintains a water storage network of 10 major and 17 minor reservoirs, more than 450 miles of canal and more than 300 miles of pipeline
The district contracted Panorama to help in the replacement of its existing systems with a proven, commercial-off-the-shelf ERP system. The client undertook this initiative to replace aging systems, gain efficiencies and update existing processes. Another goal was to improve the timeliness, accuracy, safeguarding and consistency of information, thus improving internal controls.
Panorama led the process to document the district’s business processes and requirements. Approximately 250 key requirements were identified across areas that included finance, core accounting, project management, asset management, procurement, inventory management, utility billing, customer service, cash receipts, recreation and human resources.
After an initial evaluation of nine software solutions, Panorama and the client jointly selected three short-listed vendors for further consideration. We then organized customized demonstrations where the vendors could showcase their ability to meet the client’s specific business needs.
These short-listed vendors demoed their solutions. As stakeholders evaluated each solution, Panorama compiled scoring matrices that informed the district’s selection of its new ERP system.
Panorama has also been contracted to assist the client with the implementation of the chosen solution. In addition, we will help the client integrate with Sedaru, the computerized maintenance management system the client selected. This system will enable the client to collect data on assets over time to predict maintenance requirements.
While this system will be implemented separately from the ERP system, but it will be closely coordinated to ensure proper data and process sharing..
THE CLIENT’S CHANGE MANAGEMENT CHALLENGES
The client was moving from manual processes and old systems to a modern system, so their employees faced a big learning curve. Unfortunately, their vendor only provided them with a “jump start” program that only covered particular deliverables and activities. For example, they provided an overall communication approach but not a communication plan.
The client recognized their need for more comprehensive change management, so they asked us to fill in the gaps. To supplement the vendor’s communication approach, we developed a robust communication plan. This included details on the who, what, where, when, why and how of communication.
This robust change management plan was necessary due to the significant differences between legacy systems and modern ERP systems. Another factor necessitating a strong focus on change management was the client’s multiple locations, each with unique requirements and different languages.
"WE SPENT TIME WITH THE EXECUTIVE TEAM DOCUMENTING THEIR PROJECT GOALS AND OVERALL ORGANIZATIONAL GOALS SO WE COULD DETERMINE WHICH SYSTEMS WOULD BE THE BEST FIT. THIS STRATEGIC ALIGNMENT ALSO HELPED US RECOMMEND PROCESS IMPROVEMENTS THAT WOULD DRIVE BENEFITS REALIZATION."
Rich Goluskin, Director of Client Services
Panorama Consulting Group
- Improving business processes through real-time transactions and workflows
- Providing employee self-service and eliminating paper time sheets
- Improving the ability to demonstrate financial compliance during audits
- Ensuring a single source of truth
- Eliminating the need for separate spreadsheets, shadow databases and peripheral tracking systems
- Gaining better access to data through inquiry or drill-down capabilities
- Predicting maintenance requirements through automated data collection on assets over time (not from ERP but from integrating with a computerized maintenance management system)
"PANORAMA HELPED US THROUGH THE SELECTION PROCESS. WE WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO IT BY OURSELVES. DURING THE PROCESS, WE EVALUATED NINE POTENTIAL VENDORS, AND THROUGH AN ORDERLY PROCESS, NARROWED IT DOWN TO ONE VENDOR."
Marvin Davis, Finance Manager/Treasurer
Nevada Irrigation District
Panorama Consulting Group is a technology-agnostic consultancy specializing in Digital Business Transformation and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System Implementations for mid- to large-sized private- and public-sector organizations worldwide. This highly respected firm is 100% independent of software and technology vendor affiliation. They offer a phased and integrated approach to strategy alignment and execution, enabling each client to achieve its unique business transformation objectives by transforming its people, processes, and technology.
Panorama clients include multi-national conglomerates from Amazon Robotics to Valcor Engineering, as well as governmental entities, including state and local governments, municipalities, school districts, state offices of the attorney general, and tribal governments.
©Copyright - All Rights Reserved
DO NOT REPRODUCE WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION BY AUTHOR.