Ed Garbin, PhD, PE, DGE
has over 30 years of Construction
experience, including residential and commercial / heavy-civil development. For the last 14 years, he has specialized in Heavy Civil Geotechnical and Geo-structural
Engineering and Construction. Dr. Garbin also has over a decade of sinkhole-related experience in Florida karst.
- A Licensed Professional Engineer in nine states, Dr. Garbin maintains Board-certified status as a Diplomate, Geotechnical Engineering through ASCE’s Academy of Geo-Professionals. He comes from a family of builders, architects, and engineers. Dr. Garbin has been involved with construction for most of his life, having amassed over three decades of diverse experience in commercial and residential construction, civil-geotechnical engineering, and academia. He is the President and Founder of Garbin GeoStructural Group, LLC.
Dr. Garbin attended the University of South Florida in Tampa, earning degrees in Structural Engineering (B.S.) and Geotechnical Engineering (M.S., Ph.D.). While at USF, he taught courses in both structural and geotechnical engineering, and remained an Adjunct Professor until 2007. Dr. Garbin worked for both Applied Foundation Testing and Universal Engineering Sciences in Tampa, FL. In 2007, he joined Hayward Baker as their Southern Region’s Chief Engineer, responsible for specialty geotechnical and geo-structural projects in the Southeastern U.S., the Caribbean, and Central America. Two of his projects won "Project of the Year" awards. Dr. Garbin joined Earth Tech in 2015, serving as Vice President of Engineering for nearly three years.
- An expert in his field, Dr. Garbin offers subject matter expertise and litigation support in civil / geo-structural engineering and construction, as well as continuing education for engineers and architects. He provides consultation and expert witness services to contractors, engineers, architects, developers, and lawyers involved in residential or commercial construction. Dr. Garbin's services include pre and post construction services, as well as litigation support, particularly for "sinkhole" and "changed conditions" claims.
Areas of Technical Expertise
- Heavy Civil Engineering Design and Construction
- Ground Improvement for Weak Soils and Karst
- Earth Retention
- Shallow and Deep Foundation Systems
- Sinkhole Remediation
- Soil-Structure Interaction
- Ground Improvement / Modification System
- Geo-structural Instrumentation and Data Acquisition
- Marine Environment Soft Soils / Shallow Groundwater