Grant D. Stiefel, Esq.
, is a recognized Attorney Fee Dispute
expert who has testified at trial, at deposition, and via declaration in numerous state and federal courts, including post-trial fee shifting applications and oppositions, class action fee and lodestar analysis, and attorney-client fee disputes.
As a fee expert, Mr. Stiefel has been retained by or evaluated billings from a number of the world's largest law firms, including Sidley Austin, Littler Mendelson, Pillsbury Winthrop, K&L Gates, Kirkland Ellis, Wilson Elser, Weil Gotschal, Buchalter Nemer, Kasowitz Benson and Nixon Peabody, among others.
Unlike most putative experts, he has first and second-chair trial experience, has taken and defended literally hundreds of expert depositions, and successfully argued for and against the exclusion of experts seeking to testify live or via declaration, so he truly understands the needs of counsel and the practicalities of expert discovery in the context of complex, high-stakes litigation. Furthermore, Mr. Stiefel has never failed to qualify as a testifying expert at trial, and as one of the few full-time fee experts and consultants in the country, provides efficient and effective expert advice and testimony at highly-competitive rates.
Areas of Expertise
- Overall Reasonableness of Legal Fees and Costs
- Evaluation of Legal Fees and Costs, including "Desktop Audits" and In-depth Litigation Review
- Evaluation of Law Firm and Lawyer Billing Rates
- Preparation of Expert Reports and Declarations in Support or Opposition to Attorney Fee Motions and Attorney/Client Fee Disputes
As a member of the California State Bar, Grant is admitted to practice before all Courts of the State of California, and has appeared as trial counsel or attorney of record in trial and appellate courts throughout the state. He is also admitted to the bar of the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, as well as the United States Southern, Central, Northern, and Eastern District Courts of California. He has also appeared as counsel of record in numerous matters pending before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Prior to working as a full-time fee expert, Mr. Stiefel had more than a decade of experience as a trial lawyer for two of the world's largest law firms, K&L Gates LLP and Akin Gump Strauss Hauer and Feld LLP, where he obtained favorable jury verdicts and dismissals in various state and federal courts. For many years, he was lead defense counsel and manager of a billion-dollar multi-jurisdictional products liability litigation portfolio, during which time he managed and supervised lawyers and law firms nationwide, and trained lawyers how to bill ethically and in compliance with client guidelines.
View Grant Stiefel's Consulting Profile
470 S. Grant Street
Denver, CO 80209
357 Avenida Castilla Unit C
Laguna Woods, CA 92637