is an Expert Legal Billing Review, Cost Control, and Outside Counsel Management
firm that counsels clients and law firms on legal cost control and billing practices, conducts legal billing and litigation audits, and assist corporate clients in the selection, retention, and management of outside counsel.
Core Strategies Include
- Devise and implement billing rules that eliminate block billing, vague time entries, and other unethical billing practices
- Review monthly law firm invoices (and, as necessary, expert witness and vendor bills) on a short-term or ongoing basis to ensure reasonableness, accuracy and compliance with billing guidelines, ABA best practices, and applicable case and statutory law
- Provide clients with informal analysis or detailed written reports and audits on specific matters or entire law firms to determine the extent of overbilling
- Evaluate quantity and quality of work versus time billed on problem files and cases, taking into account overall client goals, legal strategies and case staffing and to evaluate and improve efficiency
- Train clients in the “art” of legal bill review
- Evaluate global litigation strategies with an eye towards reducing the client’s overall legal expenditures
Principal and Founder, Grant D. Stiefel, Esq.
, is a recognized Attorney Fee Dispute
expert who has testified at trial, at deposition, and via declaration in numerous state and federal courts. A California State Bar accredited continuing legal education instructor on the subject of legal fees and law firm billing practices, he has trained hundreds of legal professionals, as well as executives and in house counsel from many of world's most recognizable companies.
Grant Stiefel previously practiced law at two of the world’s largest international law firms, K&L Gates LLP and Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, where he was a trial lawyer for more than a decade. He has obtained favorable jury verdicts and dismissals on behalf of Fortune 500 companies in federal and California state courts, and advised a wide range of US corporations in products liability litigation and business disputes. He has also represented corporations from the UK, Central America and Asia, including two of Korea’s largest conglomerates, and helped clients save and recover millions of dollars in attorneys’ fees.
In addition to his first-chair and second-chair jury trial experience, for many years Mr. Stiefel personally managed a billion-dollar litigation portfolio and served as national coordinating counsel for several major corporations. In this role, he directly supervised law firms and lawyers in jurisdictions across the United States, audited lawyer billings, and trained attorneys in “best practices” compliance with client billing guidelines and ethical rules. Thus, he is intimately familiar with law firm billing practices and the widespread potential for abuse, and has advised both clients and law firms on how to reduce billable hours while improving lawyer efficiency and accountability.
View Grant Stiefel's Expert Witness Profile
470 S. Grant Street
Denver, CO 80209
357 Avenida Castilla Unit C
Laguna Woods, CA 92637