Howard M. Kipen MD, MPH
, is Board certified in Internal Medicine and Occupational Medicine
. Dr. Kipen earned a BA from UC Berkeley, MD from UCSF, and MPH from Columbia University. He currently serves as Director of the Clinical Research and Occupational Medicine Division and Professor of Environmental and Occupational Health at Rutgers University.
Dr. Kipen’s research focuses on clinical and epidemiological studies of the health effects of Ambient Air Pollution
. His research uses both controlled exposure models with ozone, fresh aerosols, and diesel-enriched on-road exposures, primarily with drives on the New Jersey Turnpike. A new EPA study examines health benefits of portable air cleaners for reducing indoor air pollution levels. Biomarker outcomes presently emphasized are exhaled breath oxidative stress and invasive and noninvasive measures of vascular function. Dr. Kipen has published approximately 200 articles on environmental / occupational health.
- Former Chair, NASA Human Research Program’s Advanced Environmental Health / Advanced Food Technology Standing Review Panel
- Member, National Academies Standing Committee on Medical and Epidemiological Aspects of Air Pollution on U.S. Government Employees and their Families, 2016
- Chair / Member Multiple Ad Hoc Grant Review Panels (e.g., NIEHS, Department of Defense)
- Governor’s Appointee, Public Employee’s Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission, New Jersey Department of Labor
- Member, Public Health Scientific Advisory Board, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
: Dr. Kipen has 35 years of litigation experience. He has expertise in various Toxic Torts
including asbestos, benzene, mold, air pollution, occupational and environmental cancers, and other diseases
. He also has expertise on "Multiple Chemical Sensitivities" (MCS). Dr. Kipen has particular experience as an asbestos plaintiff's expert and both plaintiff and defense experience with other toxic torts. His services include medical record review, thorough reporting, depositions, and trial testimony as needed.