*Enter State Names or Abbreviations. Use space to separate multiple states e.g. CA Washington NY
Robotics Expert Witnesses: 5
Harry Direen, PhD, PE has over 30 years of experience as an engineer Designing and Developing Systems in the Electronics and Software Industry. He has taught engineering courses at the US Air Force Academy and at the University of Colorado. Dr. Direen currently works with a research group at the US Air Force Academy developing control systems and image processing using GPGPUs for UAVs. An inventor, he holds 3 United States patents.
Litigation Support - Dr. Direen has significant experience as an expert witness supporting counsel and testifying in complex patent infringement cases. He has a broad base of knowledge in electronic and software systems gained from a long career developing a wide range of products and systems. His litigation experience also includes encryption / decryption methods associated with databases and signal processing. Dr. Direen has reverse engineered a variety of complex systems over the years, including: media players, modems, modem compression algorithms, coriolis mass flow meters, database systems, and a range of other products to support patent infringement cases generating detailed claim charts and writing expert reports to demonstrate infringement. He has successfully discovered and analyzed complex digital signal processing algorithms and pertinent operations within these products. Dr. Direen's expertise is available to counsel representing both plaintiff and defendant. He is highly proficient in explaining complex systems to laymen.
Areas of Expertise:
Khalid Sorensen, PhD, is a highly accomplished technology leader in Automation, Mechatronics, Motion Control, Manufacturing, Machine Vision, and Human-Machine Interaction. He has over 20 years of experience developing and deploying world-class mechatronic, motion control, and automation solutions.
Dr. Sorensen has directed the development and implementation of 100s of complex, multi-disciplinary mechatronic systems for high-profile industry leaders including Toyota, Ford, Alcoa, Caterpillar, Boeing, NuScale, and many others, and high-profile facilities including Fukushima and Chernobyl.
Litigation Support - Dr. Sorensen has testified in numerous Product Liability and IP disputes – both at the Federal and District court levels, as well as the ITC, USPTO, and US Customs and Border Protection.
Areas of Expertise:
- Founded a technology company where he invented and was the Chief Architect of ExpertoperatorTM, SafemoveTM, AutomoveTM, and CranevisionTM – technology known within the primary metals, automotive, and heavy-equipment sectors for enhancing crane safety, productivity, and ease-of-use; Developed state-of-the-art, on-line, time-optimal trajectory synthesis software for Cartesian machines - key drivers in the acquisition of his company 5 years after inception by a global leader in automation.
- Served as CTO at PaR Systems, a world-class supplier of large-scale robotic automation, control, advanced manufacturing, and nuclear-handling solutions.
- Founded Finity Engineering, which provides design, analysis, consulting, and litigation support services in the areas of robotics, automation, and mechatronics.
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Georgia Tech. Teaches various engineering topics including Dynamics, Controls, Vibrations, Mechatronics, the Design Process, Product Development, Engineering IP, Product Liability, and others.
- Invited talks at premiere institutions globally including MIT, Kumoh National Univ. of Tech, Korea Atomic Energy Research Inst., Hyung Hee Univ., Huazhong Univ. of Science & Tech.
Dr. Homayoon Kazerooni is a professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, where he also serves as the director of the Berkeley Robotics and Human Engineering Laboratory. With more than 30 years of mechanical engineering experience and a doctorate degree from MIT, the results of this work on upper extremity augmentation led to Intelligent Assist Devices (IAD) that are currently marketed worldwide.
Litigation Support - Dr. Kazerooni has been deposed and testified in various Intellectual Property cases. His services include thorough examination and reporting, depositions, and trial testimony as needed.
Areas of Expertise:
Homayoon Kazerooni, Director, Berkeley Robotics and Human Engineering Lab addressing the EmTech Asia 2016 crowd on New Developments on Lower Extremity Exoskeleton Systems
Dr. Kazerooni is a professor, entrepreneur, and expert witness The Berkeley Robotics and Human Engineering Laboratory’s mission is to develop fundamental scientific and engineering principles on robotics, control sciences, exoskeletons, and bioengineering. Dr. Kazerooni founded Ekso Bionics which became a public company in 2014. He's also the founder and current CEO of U. S. Bionics (DBA suitX) which brings advanced exoskeleton technologies to various markets.
Most of the developed technologies in this lab at Berkeley have found their ways to market. Prior to his research work on lower extremity exoskeletons, Dr. Kazerooni led his team to successfully develop robotics systems that enhance human upper extremity strength. The results of this work led to a new class of intelligent assist devices currently being used by workers worldwide for manipulating heavy objects in distribution centers and factories.
Dr. Kazerooni holds a Doctorate in Mechanical Engineering from MIT and has published more than 200 articles, delivered over 130 plenary lectures in the U.S. and internationally, and holds over 200 pertinent patents and awards. He has won numerous awards including Discover Magazine’s Innovation Award, the McKnight-Land Grant Professorship, and has been a recipient of the outstanding ASME Investigator Award. His research was recognized as the most innovative technology of the year in New York Times Magazine.
John L. Ryan, BSME, P.E. is a Mechanical Engineer who provides general Mechanical and Structural Engineering expertise. Mechanical and Safety Engineering (MASE) provides full service analysis and accident reconstruction of products involved in accidents.
Mr. Ryan's services have been requested for attorneys and insurance companies needing forensic engineering expert witness testimony to determine whether machinery and products involved in injury cases were adequately designed or whether they have a Design, Manufacturing, or Material Defect. All products are lab-tested on site to determine adherence to industry standards and engineering design protocol. Alternate preventative designs are developed when none exist commercially.
Mr. Ryan is available for both Plaintiff and Defense, depending on the individual case. His services include producing high quality reports and visual aids in the courtroom such as scale models to help explain accident scenarios and alternate designs to judges and juries.
Areas of Expertise:
- Accident Investigation and Reconstruction
- Machine Guarding Accident Investigation
- Climbing Gym Accidents
- Belay Device Failure
- Rock Climbing Accidents
- Fall Protection Failures
- Ladder Failure Investigation
- Design Defect Analysis
- Structural Analysis of Buildings
- Product Liability Investigations
- General Engineering Injuries and Issues
- Industrial safety
- Engineering Continuing Education
- Product Certification
Dr. George Edwards, Ph.D. is an expert in Computer Software, Internet Applications, Web Technologies, Mobile Phone/Tablet Applications, Digital Video and Multimedia, Medical and Embedded Software, and Aerospace/Defense Systems. He has more than a decade of experience as a scientist, engineer, and technical consultant to academic research labs, government agencies, technology companies, and attorneys.
Dr. Ewards has authored dozens of articles and papers related to software engineering for scientific journals and industry magazines. He is listed as a co-inventor on two pending patent applications for novel software technology and has served as a software expert witness in patent litigation matters.
- Intellectual property and patent infringement
- Software design/source code audit and review
- Non-performance claims
- Expert witness and depositions
Expert Technologies :
- Programming languages & platforms: Java, C/C++, C#, Perl, Python, PHP, .NET, WinForms, WPF, Visual Studio, Eclipse, Java EE, CORBA
- Mobile devices & applications: Android, iOS, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Palm OS, Java ME
- Multimedia: MPEG, SVG, DVR, Silverlight, Flash
- Operating systems & servers: UNIX, Linux, Windows, Mac OS
- Networking: IMAP, POP, SMTP, DNS, TCP/IP, HTTP
- Databases: RDBMS, SQL, MS SQL Server, MS Access, Oracle, MySQL
- Project management & development methods: Kanban, Lean software development, agile, object-oriented (OO), aspect-oriented programming (AOP), component-based development, COTS integration, requirements engineering, spiral model, UML