Gary Hutter, PhD, PE, CSP
, is affiliated with Meridian Engineering & Technology, Inc., providing safety /engineering services in safety-forensic matters. Dr. Hutter has over 45 years of education, experience, and training in: Mechanical, Environmental, and Safety Engineering, and Human Factors/Biomechanics.
He has taught at the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) teaching courses in: “Industrial Health & Safety”, “OSHA & EPA Compliance
”, and “Safety Risk Assessment
”. He is a Registered Professional Engineer (PE), a Certified Safety Professional (CSP), and safety committee member for the: National Safety Council, ASTM, Fabricators & Manufacturers Ass’n., and ANSI. Dr. Hutter is chairman of the NSC's committee for machinery safety. He is an author/reviewer/contributor to OSHA, ANSI, and NSC publications on: safety, interlocks, used equipment safety, confined space, consumer products, and Lockout & Tagout. He is a contributing author in the text book “Carbon Monoxide Poisoning”.
Prior safety-related professional employment has included: the E.P.A., Ford Motor Company, UOP, and Clark Equipment Co.
- Dr. Hutter has provided services for over 30 years as a consultant and as a corporate representative. His provides the technical basis for evaluating liability issues on: equipment failures, patents, consumer products, construction safety, code compliance, and property losses. He often documents equipment performance, performs safety tests/calculations, and researches problems and failures. His is available to attorneys representing both plaintiff and defendant; and on non-litigation matters in accident documentation/evaluation, due diligence in safety, OSHA surveys, and safety risk assessments.
Areas of Expertise
View Dr. Hutter's Consulting Profile
- Safety Engineering / Accident Reconstruction / Construction
- Mechanical Engineering Issues / Coefficients of Friction (slips)
- Industrial Hygiene / Environmental Engineering
- OSHA & Code Compliance (ANSI, ASTM, UL...)
- Confined Space Entry / Carbon Monoxide Exposures
- Machinery Safety / Safeguarding / Lockout-Tagout / Interlocks
- Hot Water / Chemical Burns
- Chemical Safety / MSDS / Warnings / Exposures / CPS
- Machine Design for Safety / Steel Mill Safety
- Human Factors / Biomechanics, Epidemiology of Accidents
- Written Safety Materials/ Manuals / Warnings