*Enter State Names or Abbreviations. Use space to separate multiple states e.g. CA Washington NY
Microbiology Expert Witnesses: 2
Dr. Ewen Todd is a Food Safety Expert with over 45 years of knowledge and experience in general food safety and Food Microbiology Issues. Specifically, he has extensive experience in the reporting and surveillance of Foodborne Disease, as well as development of analytical methods for identifying foodborne pathogens. As a result of his work with the industry and his knowledge of foodborne disease, Dr. Todd has influenced research programs and regulatory approaches taken by the Health Protection Branch of Health Canada. In the US, he held the position of Director of the National Food Safety and Toxicology Center and the Food Safety Policy Center at Michigan State University.
A leader in microbial research, foodborne disease surveillance, costing of outbreaks, food safety policy, seafood toxins, standard-setting, risk assessment, risk management, and risk communication. He has worked in numerous countries educating and training, and collaborating to set up surveillance systems, food safety policies, regulations, and HACCP and other control strategies, including China, Cambodia, Japan, United Arab Emirates, Lebanon, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and Europe, as well as Canada and the USA. He is also familiar with food defense and food fraud issues, and waterborne disease. He is familiar with the US and Canadian food industry, both foodservice and food processing, HACCP, disease investigation, food, and equipment contamination.
Since leaving the Canadian government and entering academia and as a consultant, he has been an expert witness in 25 cases in both the U.S. and Canada where foodborne illnesses have occurred. He has testified on the behalf of plaintiffs who suffered from E. coli O157:H7, Campylobacter, Salmonella, ciguatoxin fish poisoning, yeast, and unknown agents. He has also represented defendants in two illness cases. Therefore, his litigation services are available for both Plaintiff and Defense.
Areas of Expertise
- General Food Safety and Spoilage Issues
- HACCP and GHP Systems
- Standards for Poultry
- Listeria Monocytogenes in Soft Cheeses
- Standards for Poultry
- Seafood Toxins
- Food Workers
- Investigation of Foodborne and Waterborne Illnesses
- Foodborne Disease Surveillance Systems
- Risk Assessment, Risk Management and Risk Governance
- Safety of Aquaculture Systems
- Norovirus in Elder Care and Other Facilities
- Salmonella and Shigella in Schools and Child Care Centers
- Salmonella in Tahini and Other Oil-based Foods
- Escherichia coli O157:H7 in Leafy Greens
- Staphylococcus aureus in Cheese, Clostridium botulinum in Canned or Preserved Food and Native American / Inuit Fermented Food
- Listeria monocytogenes in Deli Meats and Soft Cheeses
- Controlling Listeria monocytogenes in Ready-to-eat Foods
- Hydrophobic Grid Membrane Filter Systems
Dr. Brown has provided litigation support services for 180+ cases in 25 states and 1 in Canada. Dr. Brown has served in Plaintiff/Defense, and Criminal/Civil cases. He has testified in 20 trials and 31 depositions. Dr. Brown's expertise include: cause-and-effect determination after medical record review; risk assessment and causation determination from toxic exposure; evaluation of the therapeutic and harmful effects of ethical drugs, antibiotics, alcohol, and drugs of abuse; the toxicity of solvents, pesticides, heavy metals, ozone, carbon monoxide, particulates, and most organic chemicals for most organ systems including the lung (Asthma, COPD, RADS) and the brain (Parkinson's), Dr. Brown has evaluated human medical and veterinary medical devices and pharmaceuticals for safety.
Areas of Expertise
- Toxicology (General, Academic, Pharmacologic, Forensic, Regulatory)
- Medical Sciences - Microbiology, Immunology, Bacteriology, Virology, Cell Physiology, Infectious Diseases, Cancer, Allergy, Mechanisms of Diseases
- Microbiology - Medical, Molecular Biology, Veterinary Medical, Environmental
- Environmental Biology - Hazardous Wastes; Air, Water and Soil Pollution
- Chemistry - Biochemistry, Analytical, Organic
- Veterinary Sciences - Cell Physiology, Mechanisms of Disease