HyMasa LLC, is a limited liability corporation founded in 2022 by Byron Birkedahl after identifying a key need in the Aviation industry for Design, Analytics, Safety and Certification experience especially given the renaissance of innovative new aircraft that will enter the market in the next few years.
- Certification of aircraft electronic systems including ARP 4754a, ARP 4761, DO-297, AMC 20-170, SC-VTOL, ACs, CRIs, CAIs, and IPs
- Evaluation of the capabilities of aviation start-ups in regards to expertise and abilities to achieve entry into service
- Aircraft avionics and flight controls trade studies, concepts, & product strategies
- Design reviews
Aviation Analytics Expertise
- Modeling and simulation of aircraft dynamics, control, systems and sensors using Mathworks Matlab/ Simulink
- Safety data/fault tree analysis and decision making based on simulation/flight data information
- Aircraft fault hazard assessment (FHA), safety analysis, & common mode analysis per ARP 4761
- Error and complexity analysis obtained from simulation and flight test data
Advanced Air Mobility (AAM) Vehicles - HyMasa specializes in the exciting and upcoming AAM Vehicles with analytics and services based on engineering experience on current AAM programs along with the previous generation of fixed wing and helo programs:
- Requirements for avionics, flight controls, and aircraft systems
- Safety and certification of avionics, flight controls, and aircraft systems including SC-VTOL
- Interface with regulatory agencies
- AAM dynamics/ systems modeling, simulation, and data analysis using Mathworks Matlab/ Simulink
- Aircraft system models for auto coding into Integrated Modular Avionics (IMA) apps
- Simple Vehicle Operations (SVO) and autonomous vehicle concepts
Byron Birkedahl, founder and sole expert of HyMasa LLC, has over 41 years of experience in Aviation Electronic Systems at a fortune 100 aerospace company with the most recent role as the Senior Chief Engineer of Advanced Air Mobility and Next Generation Avionics.
Mr. Birkedahl has performed numerous safety assessments of aircraft incidents and served as an advisor to the FAA on new regulatory guidelines. He is an Engineering Fellow / System Architect and Flight Test Engineer credited with creating models and simulations of EVTOL dynamics, propulsion, flight controls and sensors for electronic system design analysis and real time simulator demonstrations.
Mr. Birkedahl has 11 patents to his name (3 pending) and is responsible for creating control laws for autopilots and flight directors certified on numerous aircraft.
View Byron Birkedahl's Expert Witness Profile.