*Enter State Names or Abbreviations. Use space to separate multiple states e.g. CA Washington NY
Accident Investigation & Reconstruction Consultants: 104
Fred P. Smith President - has retained over 600 times as an expert in intellectual property, and product liability cases where I have testified regarding claim construction, infringement, invalidity, breach of warranty, negligent misrepresentation. He has testified in court over 40 times in multiple state courts, Federal Court, before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and the International Trade Commission (ITC).
Mr. Smith has over 70 patents on such products with a number of patent applications still pending. He received the Utah Genius Award for being one of Utah’s top inventors. He has directed the development and improvement of a wide variety of products including:
hydraulically operated equipment, trucks, and related equipment, trailers, aerial lifts, industrial equipment, farm equipment, mobile equipment, material handling, forklifts, boom trucks, suspension systems, man lifts, garbage trucks, cranes, lift gates, pneumatic dump, front loaders, side loaders, automated loaders, rear loaders, recycling trucks, patient lift system, lawnmowers, roll-offs, liftgates, ziplines, and many consumer products.
| Expert Witness Services|
George Zeitler, MSc, has over 30 years of experience in the Marine Industry in various regulatory, management, and consulting roles. He is an Accredited Marine Surveyor (Y&SC) by the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors and a Member of the International Institute of Marine Surveying.
Background Experience - Mr. Zeitler served 18 years as a USCG Marine Inspector / Casualty Investigator, and 7 years as a Class Society principal surveyor (DNV). He then spent 1 year as VP of Operations for a niche cruise line. Mr. Zeitler went on to serve 5 years as a technical consultant for various segments of the marine industry, including 2 years as third party environmental auditor for criminal pollution cases. He has been an Accredited Yacht and Small Craft Surveyor for over 15 years.
In 2002, Mr. Zeitler formed Zeitler Marine Services (ZMS), using his experience and knowledge to offer condition and valuation (pre-purchase and insurance) and damage survey services to the yachting and recreational boating communities in south Florida. He is currently the Director of the Chapman School of Seamanship Yacht and Small Craft survey course.
Litigation Support - Mr. Zeitler uses his vast experience verifying Compliance with Applicable Maritime Laws / Regulations through on site surveys and audits of client's vessels. His years of operational and regulatory enforcement help provide clients with a unique perspective that is key in identifying vulnerabilities onboard vessels as well as gaps in policies and procedures. He functions as a Court Appointed Monitor in situations where vessel operators are negotiating a plea agreement for a DOJ-approved Environmental Compliance Programs.
Areas of Expertise:
- Vessel Design and Construction
- Vessel Compliance with International and US Laws and Regulations
- Compliance with Federal and Voluntary (ABYC) Standards for Yachts and Small Craft
- Casualty Investigation
- Vessel Operations
- Cruise Ship Management, Operation, and Safety
- Environmental Compliance and Auditing
Expertise: Mr. Weinstein has extensive experience in real estate development, acquiring government approvals, entitlements and permits, architect's standard of care, construction management, claims & defects, and A/E/C agreements. His expertise includes scope of services and design fees, zoning and building codes, errors/omissions, construction defects, destructive testing and repairs. Previous positions include Director of Operations, Preconstruction Director, Senior Project Manager, Construction Manager and Administrator for Nadel and Callison Architects, Tishman Construction, Trammel Crow Company, California State University and Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital.
Project Experience: Jeff's project experience includes high-rise residential and mixed-use developments, multi-family residential podium-type apartments and condominiums, retail, big box, neighborhood shopping centers and regional malls, corporate and tenant improvements, hospitality including wineries and breweries, themed resorts and casinos, K-12 and university buildings, hospitals and medical facilities, custom and production homes.
Professional Licenses / Certifications / Affiliations:
- California Registered Architect, License #12822
- AIA Certified in Construction Management, Contract Administration and Specifications
- Member, American Institute of Architects, Urban Land Institute, Construction Specification Institute
- Member, North Santa Barbara County Board of Architectural Review
- Architectural, Engineering and Construction (A/E/C) Project Management
- Owner’s Representative / Real Estate Development / LEED Design-Build
- Director of Operations and Pre-Construction Services / Construction Administrator
- Forensic Architect / Construction Expert Witness
Ronald Tyson is a Building and Premises Expert in the construction business for over 45 years. He has years of hands on experience in the individual trades as a tradesman, subcontractor and general contractor.
Mr. Tyson has been a Michigan licensed builder since 1967 and has functioned as a general contractor and provided supervisory tasks for Tyson Enterprises, Incorporated and other contractors on all types of industrial, public, commercial and residential construction projects since 1963. He is a member of numerous building code and standard authorities, including but not limited to IBC [BOCA, UBC] NFPA, IAEI, NAHB, etc.
Mr. Tyson's experience and expertise can help clients with contracts, safety, and other obligations as they may affect project control of contractors and/or project managers. He can advise on the duties in new and remodeling construction and maintenance required by the premises owner.
Litigation Support - Mr. Tyson has served the legal community as a Construction Expert Witness for 35 years. He has worked for both plaintiff and defendant attorneys. He is available to perform onsite inspections, research, review litigation matters, makes drawings, interview litigants, and provides evidence for court, including correct building code and life safety statutes and standards as they may affect personal injury claims, construction, contracts, etc. and causation. Mr. Tyson has never been disqualified in over 200 times in court.
Areas of Expertise:
Mike Napier is a Trucking Expert with more than 40 years experience in the commercial motor vehicle (CMV) industry. He has worked in the real world of trucking and CMV operations, holding positions from Chief Executive Officer to Truck Driver and virtually every position in between. If you are looking for a Trucking Expert who not only knows the written text of the regulations, as is required of any competent Safety Director, but also has hands-on trucking experience of a truck driver and can speak to the issues of how the trucking industry operates from the top down, you have found him! Mr. Napier will equip an attorney with the knowledge that opposing counsel may not have. Mr. Napier’s unique experience differs dramatically from nearly all other commercial or trucking industry experts; in that he has first-hand knowledge and understands a trucking company’s organizational & operational structure and has a firm command of the regulations and the nexus of the industry standards of care.
Mr. Napier’s diverse experience includes, but is not limited to, the following issues:
Areas of Expertise: Accident analysis, testimony and mediation in vehicle and pedestrian accidents involving transit, paratransit, schoolbus, motorcoach, special education, non-emergency medical transportation, taxi, shuttle, child transport systems and services; slips and falls; crossing, boarding and alighting; wheelchairs; seatbelts; ADA and accessibility; passenger safety, security and sexual abuse; vehicle design, specification, crashworthiness, quality assurance and product liability; industry standards and practices; driver training and vehicle operation; management, monitoring, supervision and enforcement; maintenance; NHTSA, FTA, FMCSA and USDOT regulations; vehicle testing and certification; contract negotiation and compliance; risk management; planning and system design.
The Firm: Transportation Alternatives is a passenger transportation and automotive consortium engaged in consulting and forensic accident investigation and analysis (more than 600 cases). Specializes in elderly, disabled, schoolchildren.
Education: MURP (Urban and Regional Planning): George Washington University, 1975 BA, English Literature: Rutgers University, 1969
- President, Transportation Alternatives (1980 to present). Consulted to USDOT, transit agencies, private contractors, social service agencies, municipalities and school districts. Designed several major transportation systems
- Chairman/General Manager, PTS Transportation (1982-1992). Directed operations of a 70-vehicle paratransit system for physically and developmentally disabled individuals and a non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) service
- President, TAM-USA (1989-1995). Formed and directed a U.S.-Slovene joint venture company which coordinated the design, testing, certification and marketing of a European-manufactured school bus and motorcoach.
Appointments and Memberships:
- American Public Transportation Association
- National Association of Pupil Transportation
- United Motorcoach Association
- American Bus Association
- Community Transportation Association of America
- Association Internationale pour la Sécurité du Transport des Jeunes
- National School Transportation Conference (1995, 2000, 2005)
- Committee on School Transportation Safety, National Academy of Sciences
- Bus Industry Safety Committee (ABA)
- Access Committee (APTA)
- Determination of specific sites in facilities in need of testing
- Identification of potentially hazardous areas
- Take representative coefficient of friction samplings of walkway areas
- Monitor data for accuracy during the testing process
- Data analyzed to formulate a complete and detailed report including the adequacy or potential high risk nature of the respective walkway surfaces and the surface maintenance program and its degree of contamination relative to it location in the facility
Background Experience - Mr. Johnson served as a facilities manager in the healthcare industry for 12 years before moving to the Floor Safety Industry. In his experience, he has recognized the need for extensive research in the reduction of the risks contributing to slip and fall incidents.
During his tenure in the healthcare industry, Mr. Johnson has served on Environment of Care, Safety, and Emergency Management committees for a major suburban hospital network focusing on the prevention of injuries and identification of potential hazards. As a Facility Safety Officer, he has proposed and implemented solutions to minimize risks and enhance the safety for all users of a healthcare facility test
Mr. Johnson’s experience also includes a background in education and the physical sciences which enables him to apply and articulate the physics and properties of the coefficient of friction and it’s implications with walkway surfaces and safety.
Mr. Johnson is a member of ASTM, ASSE, the ANSI B101 main committee and the chairman of the ANSI B101.0 Walkway Auditing Procedure subcommittee. He was the first Certified Walkway Auditing Safety Specialist and is now an instructor for the NFSI’s Walkway Auditor Certification Class as well as a Certified XL Tribometrist.
View Brent Johnson's Expert Witness Profile.
Total Sports Consulting Services (TSCS) specializes in risk management programs for various types of sports, recreation, and fitness. They provide consulting services specific to Sports Injury Prevention and Risk Management to secondary schools, colleges, camps, sports leagues, and athletic facilities/complexes. Consulting services include:
Sports Risk Consulting:
- Development of safety policies and procedure manuals
- Development of injury prevention programs, including concussion, heat illness, and sudden cardiac death
- Review of league, institutional, and/or departmental policies and procedures
- Independent safety and risk management audits Risk and Hazard analysis of sports facilities
Workshops / Presentations - TSCS also provides half and full day workshops/presentations for coaches, physical education teachers, athletic directors, facility managers, and anyone directly responsible for participant safety and risk management.
Principal, Professor Alphonses J. Heraghty is a Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI) by the National Recreation and Park Association and a Certified Supervisor for Outdoor Environments by the National Program for Playground Safety. He specializes in Sport Injury Prevention and Risk Management.
Also a Certified Interscholastic Coach by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), Prof. Heraghty currently serves on the Sports Equipment, Playing Surfaces, and Facilities committee with American Society for Testing and Materials International (ASTM). He currently serves as Professor and Academic Chair of the Health & Physical Education Department at SUNY Suffolk in Brentwood, New York. Prior to this role, he was the Fitness & Aquatics Director and Head Lacrosse Coach at SUNY Suffolk.
Pipeline Operations and Integrity Management Consultant Bryan Melan
Bryan Melan, PE
425 Granite Rock Lane
Tide Water Integrity Services, LLC is an engineering consultancy providing expertise on Pipeline and Fixed equipment Structural Integrity Engineering. Serving the upstream and midstream oil and gas industries, Tide Water has broad domestic and international experience. They also act as Technical Advisor to investors and venture capitalists. For fixed equipment such as Pipelines, Process Piping, Pressure Vessels, and Tanks, Tide water consulting services include:
|Bryan Melan, PE, Owner and Principal Engineer at Tide Water, has over 40 years of experience in Mechanical and Structural Engineering and Project Management in the upstream and midstream oil and gas industries, including 30 years specializing in Pipeline Integrity Management and Engineering with Sunoco Logistics, Marathon-Ashland Pipeline, and Marathon Oil Company. He is the holder of two patents for a Pipeline Integrity Management Process. He also worked as a project engineer/manager for Amoco Production Co. and McDermott International.|
Mr. Melan was most recently Pipeline Integrity Subject Matter Expert for Marathon Oil's worldwide assets. Just prior to that, he served as Pipeline Technical Authority for Marathon Oil UK ltd. and Marathon Ireland. He is the chairman of the NACE task group responsible for standard SP-0102 (In-Line Inspection of Pipelines), former vice-chairman of the NACE ILI committee for In Line Inspection technical information exchange, and vice-chairman of the NACE task group responsible for Publication 35100, the “In-Line Inspection State-of-the-Art” document.
Mr. Melan was also past chairman of the API workgroup which developed the API 1163, “In-Line Inspection Systems Qualification” standard, and past chairman of an ad-hoc committee established at the request of the USDOT Office of Pipeline Safety (currently PHMSA) in creating the frameworks for API 1163, NACE SP0102, and ASNT ILI-PQ (In-line Inspection Personnel Qualification and Certification). While on assignment in the UK, he participated in the creation of Parts 4 and 5 of British Standard PD8010 (Code of Practice for Pipelines).
Along with his duties at Tide Water, Mr. Melan develops and presents seminars on the topics of In-Line Inspection and Pipeline Integrity Management for domestic and International audiences.
The Rehberg Konin Group provides scientific investigation, research and analysis, expert testimony, and litigation support services for incidents involving Sports and Physical Activity. Their services are available nationwide. The Rehberg Konin Group's world-class experts have distinguished backgrounds in the areas of sports Risk Management and Injury Prevention. Their associates have extensive experience in specific disciplines such as sports medicine, athletic training, physical therapy, medicine, exercise science and emergency care. Selected Services Include:
Sports Risk Management
- Development of Policy and Procedure Manuals
- Development of Injury Prevention Programs (including concussion, heat illness, and sudden cardiac death)
- Review of League, Institutional, and/or Departmental Policies and Procedures
- Independent Safety and Risk Management Audits
- Risk and Hazard Analysis of Sports Facilities
- Professional Development Standards
- Customized Continuing Education Course Offerings
- Organizational Planning
- Online Continuing Education for Health Care Providers, Physicians, Coaches, Administrators, Athletes and Parents
Dr. Robb S. Rehberg, PhD, ATC, CSCS, NREMT has extensive experience as an educator and clinician. He has spent over 20 years working with athletes of all levels, from high school to Olympic competitors. His teaching experience is just as comprehensive with 18 years as an instructor in a variety of courses. Prior to his current role as Associate Professor and Coordinator of Athletic Training Clinical Education, he was the Chief Athletic Trainer for the prestigious Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation. In addition, he spent 13 years overseeing the sports medicine needs of 39 interscholastic athletic teams.
Dr. Jeff G. Konin, PhD, ATC, PT, FACSM, FNATA is currently the Director of Athletics at Eastern Connecticut State University, in Willimantic, Connecticut. Prior to this role, he was an Associate Professor and the Vice Chair of Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine at the University of South Florida, in Tampa, FL, where he also served as the Executive Director of the Sports Medicine and Athletic Related Trauma (SMART) Institute and the Director of the Graduate Athletic Training Program. Dr. Konin has an extensive background as a clinician, educator, administrator, author, and public speaker.
Emanuel Kapelsohn is an internationally recognized Firearms Training and Use of Force consultant who has instructed thousands of police and security officers, federal agents and others throughout the U.S. and abroad since 1980. He currently serves as a consultant to
- Manufacturers of Firearms and related products regarding design, human factors, safety and training issues; product literature including warnings and owner's manuals; development of user, instructor and armorer training programs, materials and training aids; marketing issues; and risk management
- Cities, States, and Governmental Entities regarding development, review and implementation of use of force policies, law enforcement training programs and issues, response to critical incidents, and risk management
- Law Enforcement and Security Agencies regarding selection of firearms and related equipment; design and implementation of training programs; safety surveys and safety protocols; qualification standards; development and review of written departmental firearms and use of force policies; and evaluation of specific use of force incidents and firearms accidents
A graduate of Yale University and Harvard Law School, Mr. Kapelsohn is a practicing attorney in addition to his consulting work. As vice president of the Internat’l Assoc. of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors, he is a certified in force science and shooting scene reconstruction, and as an instructor in numerous law enforcement disciplines.
Mr. Kapelsohn is a featured presenter at national and international instructor conferences. He has authored over 130 published articles, is Associate Editor of "Standards & Practices Guide for Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors," and principal author of "Firearms Training Standards for Law Enforcement Personnel," and "Guidelines for Simulation Training Safety."
Ted Merrill has over 64 years of experience that includes all phases of Construction and Damage Repair. Mr. Merrill has 50 years of experience in Estimating and Reconstruction of buildings damaged by Fire, Wind, Water, Motor Vehicles, Earth Movement, and Construction Defects.
Mr. Merrill has held positions ranging from laborer, apprentice carpenter, carpenter, superintendent, estimator, and general contractor. He has contracted with federal and state governments, local cities, school districts, insurance companies, and individual owners of residential, commercial, and industrial buildings.
Litigation Support - Ted Merrill has testified as an expert in Municipal, Superior, and Federal courts. His services are available to attorneys representing plaintiff and defendant and include site review, thorough investigations and reports, depositions, arbitration, and trial testimony as needed.
Construction Areas of Expertise:
Kristopher J. Seluga, PE, is a Mechanical Engineering, Accident Reconstruction, Biomechanics, and Safety Expert with over 20 years of experience. He received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from the Mechanical Engineering department at MIT where he worked on the development of novel three-dimensional printing technologies.
Mr. Seluga is also a licensed Professional Engineer in New York and Connecticut, and has served as a member of the ANSI engineering committee for the Z130.1 and Z135 standards for golf cars and PTV’s. His research interests and peer reviewed publications span the topics of Motor Vehicle Dynamics, Product Safety, and Biomechanics.
Litigation Support - Mr. Seluga has been working as a forensic engineer at Technology Associates since 2001. He has investigated 100s of accidents for both plaintiffs and defendants. Mr. Seluga has been qualified to testify as an expert in state and federal court and is experienced in testifying in depositions and trials. He has successfully defeated Daubert / Frye challenges and can prepare and explain compelling exhibits at trial.
Areas of Expertise:
Dr. David Tawfik is a chartered professional engineer and has been engaged by major project alliances, legal firms, contractors and asset owners to provide impartial advice and undertake expert investigations concerning the Procurement, Fabrication and Performance of Construction Materials used in transportation infrastructure, rail, water, mining, maritime and energy sectors.
Dr. Tafik's technical competence includes welding and joining, metallurgy, forensic engineering, thermal-mechanical analysis, corrosion analysis, non-destructive testing and condition monitoring. Dr. Tawfik has presented and published technical papers at international conferences, congress, forums and peer reviewed journals respectively.
Expert and Consulting Services Include:
- Expert Technical Advisory
- Supervision and Approval of Fabrication Programs
- Forensic Engineering
- Third Party Reviews, Audits and Certification
- Project Management
- Technical Due Diligence
- Incident Response
The combination of field expertise, engineering, and regulatory compliance experience provide Mr. Pickett's clients with a complete package of services. The depth and breadth of his expertise covers many successful design projects including commercial and military ships, many complex material handling activities, testing requirements of shipboard system, and development and implementation of compliance programs.
Many of the major projects include first of a kind challenges such as the Exxon Valdez post - accident docking and structural repairs, commission testing of navy auxiliary ships’ equipment including fueling systems, the US Navy Shughart Class Container Ship Conversion program, as well as shaft and appurtenance handling on the US Navy Watson Class ships. Included in these projects were planned engineered multi - crane lifts that reached in excess of 400 tons. These projects focused on safe, economic, simple designs compliant with applicable state and federal regulations, and national standards.
Engineered Material Handling Design and Review:
- Services include single and multi-crane lift plans, material transport, and equipment testing. Design, review and analysis of supporting calculation of stresses imposed on lifting, supporting structure, and material handling equipment, and rigging gear. Equipment specification scope and review
- Perform intact, damage and probabilistic damage stability, and structural analysis on marine structures including barges, ships, and complimentary structures in accordance with regulatory bodies; ABS, Federal or State government
- Operator training compliance to National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators, NCCCO, requirements for tower crane, mobile crane, overhead crane, articulating crane operator training and certification, signal person, and rigger certification
- Compliance covers applicable national and international standards that include the ABS, ASTM, ASM, ASME, ANSI, WSTDA, ALI, etc. and DIN, EN, FEM to list a few. National regulations include state and federal OSHA requirements as well as DOE, military specifications and standards