*Enter State Names or Abbreviations. Use space to separate multiple states e.g. CA Washington NY
Vehicle / Vehicular Automation (Autonomous) Expert Witnesses: 2
Areas of Expertise: Accident analysis, testimony and mediation in vehicle and pedestrian accidents involving transit, paratransit, schoolbus, motorcoach, special education, non-emergency medical transportation, taxi, shuttle, child transport systems and services; slips and falls; crossing, boarding and alighting; wheelchairs; seatbelts; ADA and accessibility; passenger safety, security and sexual abuse; vehicle design, specification, crashworthiness, quality assurance and product liability; industry standards and practices; driver training and vehicle operation; management, monitoring, supervision and enforcement; maintenance; NHTSA, FTA, FMCSA and USDOT regulations; vehicle testing and certification; contract negotiation and compliance; risk management; planning and system design.
The Firm: Transportation Alternatives is a passenger transportation and automotive consortium engaged in consulting and forensic accident investigation and analysis (more than 600 cases). Specializes in elderly, disabled, schoolchildren.
Education: MURP (Urban and Regional Planning): George Washington University, 1975 BA, English Literature: Rutgers University, 1969
- President, Transportation Alternatives (1980 to present). Consulted to USDOT, transit agencies, private contractors, social service agencies, municipalities and school districts. Designed several major transportation systems
- Chairman/General Manager, PTS Transportation (1982-1992). Directed operations of a 70-vehicle paratransit system for physically and developmentally disabled individuals and a non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) service
- President, TAM-USA (1989-1995). Formed and directed a U.S.-Slovene joint venture company which coordinated the design, testing, certification and marketing of a European-manufactured school bus and motorcoach.
Appointments and Memberships:
- American Public Transportation Association
- National Association of Pupil Transportation
- United Motorcoach Association
- American Bus Association
- Community Transportation Association of America
- Association Internationale pour la Sécurité du Transport des Jeunes
- National School Transportation Conference (1995, 2000, 2005)
- Committee on School Transportation Safety, National Academy of Sciences
- Bus Industry Safety Committee (ABA)
- Access Committee (APTA)
Dr. Kanellakopoulos is a technology leader with 25+ years of experience in R&D and engineering management in both academia (former UCLA Professor of Electrical Engineering) and industry, and a seasoned expert witness with a perfect success record.
He has designed and built telecom products such as DSL and Carrier Ethernet hardware and software, as well as a prototype fully automated electric vehicle. He has conducted applied research in adaptive control of nonlinear systems, with applications to automotive driver assistance systems (adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, vehicle collision avoidance) and active suspensions. He has significant experience with international telecommunication standards (ITU-T SG15/Q4), and has directed collaborative projects with several automotive/truck manufacturers and vendors (Ford, Mercedes-Benz, DaimlerChrysler, Freightliner, Gentex, Visteon).
He has significant experience as an expert witness in patent infringement (including IPR) and product liability cases in the automotive and telecommunication areas; the vast majority of his cases have resulted in a win or a very favorable settlement for his clients. In 2017, he was the lead expert witness in a product liability case against Nissan that resulted in a $25M jury award for his clients; this decision was later upheld on appeal. His deep technical expertise allows him to analyze patents and products in detail, and explain clearly (in expert reports, depositions, and court testimony) the main issues that the judge and jury need to internalize in order to comprehend the essence of the case. His extensive educational experience allows him to help judges and jurors understand the topic they are dealing with, instead of confusing them with unnecessary technical details.
After all, it takes excellent teaching skills and a deep understanding of a complex technical concept to convey the essence of that concept to non-experts without talking down to them.