*Enter State Names or Abbreviations. Use space to separate multiple states e.g. CA Washington NY
Pedestrian Expert Witnesses: 6
Areas of Expertise: Accident analysis, testimony and mediation in vehicle and pedestrian accidents involving transit, paratransit, schoolbus, motorcoach, special education, non-emergency medical transportation, taxi, shuttle, child transport systems and services; slips and falls; crossing, boarding and alighting; wheelchairs; seatbelts; ADA and accessibility; passenger safety, security and sexual abuse; vehicle design, specification, crashworthiness, quality assurance and product liability; industry standards and practices; driver training and vehicle operation; management, monitoring, supervision and enforcement; maintenance; NHTSA, FTA, FMCSA and USDOT regulations; vehicle testing and certification; contract negotiation and compliance; risk management; planning and system design.
The Firm: Transportation Alternatives is a passenger transportation and automotive consortium engaged in consulting and forensic accident investigation and analysis (more than 600 cases). Specializes in elderly, disabled, schoolchildren.
Education: MURP (Urban and Regional Planning): George Washington University, 1975 BA, English Literature: Rutgers University, 1969
- President, Transportation Alternatives (1980 to present). Consulted to USDOT, transit agencies, private contractors, social service agencies, municipalities and school districts. Designed several major transportation systems
- Chairman/General Manager, PTS Transportation (1982-1992). Directed operations of a 70-vehicle paratransit system for physically and developmentally disabled individuals and a non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) service
- President, TAM-USA (1989-1995). Formed and directed a U.S.-Slovene joint venture company which coordinated the design, testing, certification and marketing of a European-manufactured school bus and motorcoach.
Appointments and Memberships:
- American Public Transportation Association
- National Association of Pupil Transportation
- United Motorcoach Association
- American Bus Association
- Community Transportation Association of America
- Association Internationale pour la Sécurité du Transport des Jeunes
- National School Transportation Conference (1995, 2000, 2005)
- Committee on School Transportation Safety, National Academy of Sciences
- Bus Industry Safety Committee (ABA)
- Access Committee (APTA)
Kristopher J. Seluga, PE, is a Mechanical Engineering, Accident Reconstruction, Biomechanics, and Safety Expert with over 20 years of experience. He received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from the Mechanical Engineering department at MIT where he worked on the development of novel three-dimensional printing technologies.
Mr. Seluga is also a licensed Professional Engineer in New York and Connecticut, and has served as a member of the ANSI engineering committee for the Z130.1 and Z135 standards for golf cars and PTV’s. His research interests and peer reviewed publications span the topics of Motor Vehicle Dynamics, Product Safety, and Biomechanics.
Litigation Support - Mr. Seluga has been working as a forensic engineer at Technology Associates since 2001. He has investigated 100s of accidents for both plaintiffs and defendants. Mr. Seluga has been qualified to testify as an expert in state and federal court and is experienced in testifying in depositions and trials. He has successfully defeated Daubert / Frye challenges and can prepare and explain compelling exhibits at trial.
Areas of Expertise:
Rapperport Associates, Inc., provides exceptional capability in Failure Analysis, Fire and Explosion Investigation, Accident Reconstruction, Structural Analysis, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Metallurgy and Materials Science. We have provided superior technical support for litigation since 1974, and possess an extraordinarily talented technical team with impeccable academic and industrial credentials and proven analysis capability. Our team of distinguished scientists and engineers is drawn principally from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.) and Stanford University.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
|Failure Analysis||Accident Reconstruction|
|Fire & Explosion Analysis||Safety|
- Structural / Civil
- Materials Science
- Aeronautics and Astronautics
Dr. Kevin A. Rider, PhD, PE, CPE of Forensic Human Factors, LLC., providing investigations and expert testimony regarding predictable human behavior, particularly as it relates to motor vehicle and pedestrian collisions, premises liability, and slips, trips and falls, the design and use of products, and adequacy of warnings/instructions. His work focuses on identifying the Human Factors Elements that lead to unfortunate incidents, and what should have been done to prevent them.
Dr. Rider is a Licensed Professional Engineer and Certified Professional Ergonomist, and has studied human movements and behavior, and served as a human factors consultant since 1999, including five years teaching industrial engineering and occupational safety courses at West Virginia University. He has presented at professional conferences, both nationally and abroad, and his research is published and cited in a number of peer-reviewed journals. He continues to serve as a reviewer for conference and journal manuscripts.
Dr. Rider has testified over 100 times, and excels at educating attorneys and jurors. His services are available to attorneys for both Plaintiff and Defense.
Areas of Expertise:
- Driver Behavior - Cell Phone Use and other In-Vehicle Distractions
- Product Liability - Design, Guards, Warnings, Adequacy of Instructions
- Premises Liability - Sidewalks, Shopping Centers, Community Parks, Retail Displays
- Slips, Trips, and Falls
- Visibility and Lighting - Illumination and Conspicuity of Objects
- Workplace Safety - Defective Products, Gross Negligence or Misconduct, Third Party Actions on Worksites
- Machine Guarding
Carl Berkowitz, PE, Ph.D., AICP, is a Transportation and Traffic Engineering expert with almost 50 years of expertise. He's held various managerial and administrative positions in the transportation industry, government, private, and academic sectors.
Dr. Berkowitz has extensive multi-modal experience in planning, design, engineering, safety, security, construction, maintenance, operations, and management. He has written and edited numerous reports, studies, articles, and columns for major publications, journals, newspapers and scholarly periodicals.
- Transportation and Traffic Engineering Consultant, 1988 - Present
- New York City Department of Transportation, New York, 1970 – 88
- New York State Office of Planning Coordination, New York, 1967 - 70
- New York State Department of Transportation, Babylon, NY, 1963 - 67
- New York City Transit Authority, New York, 1962 - 63
Litigation Support - Dr. Berkowitz has served as a litigation consultant since 1997. He has the background and experience to make him ideally suited to contribute important information at every stage in the litigation process. Dr. Berkowitz is able to explain complex issues in layman terms, suggest strategies, investigate and uncover facts, perform literature reviews, research, and prepare safety evaluations. He has been deposed / testified over 50 times in the last 5 years.
Jason Young, BESc., MASc, PEng, is the President of Advantage Forensics Inc., a multi-disciplinary forensic engineering firm in Ontario with service across Canada and the U.S., including N.Y., Michigan, Ohio, Penn., Mass., Vermont, California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Missouri & Hawaii. Mr. Young is an outstanding seasoned expert in collision reconstruction, human factors, biomechanics, patent infringement, and waterparks with an exceptional track record at mediation and trial.
Our firm was VOTED #1 EXPERT WITNESS in Accident Investigation & Reconstruction in Canada. We have conducted thousands of forensic investigations with tremendous success at trial for our plaintiff & defence clients in:
- Collision Reconstruction - pedestrian, nighttime visibility, motorcycle, bicycle, truck, data recorder download & analysis, freeway collisions, computer simulation, winter maintenance, road design, forensic video analysis, snowmobile, Segways
- Human Factors - perception reaction time, driver behavior, road signage, warnings & labels, product misuse
- Slips, Trips & Falls - friction testing, staircase building code assessment, fall hazard assessment
- Biomechanics - seatbelt use, injury thresholds, fraud investigation, fall dynamics, occupant ejection, whiplash & concussion thresholds
- Product Failure - materials failure, design assessment, safety factor testing, electrical failure
- Playground, Fitness Equipment & Sports Accidents - playground, exercise equipment, marine, trampoline, ski, sports facilities
- Waterpark, Pool, Zipline & Amusement Ride Accidents - waterslides, friction testing, zipline, aerial adventure, acceleration testing
- Fire & Explosion Investigation
Our team of over 30 experts and consultants provides the full complement of forensic, academic, research & courtroom experience.
Mr. Young is a licensed professional engineer and seasoned expert with over 20 qualifications at Superior Court level, over 20 publications, and 2500 forensic investigations with 1500 trial-ready reports over 20 years in Collision Reconstruction, Human Factors, Biomechanics, Patent Infringement, Road Design & Waterslide Design.
Mr. Young has a Masters in Biomedical Engineering and a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, as well as numerous certifications and contributions to standards in these areas. Mr. Young has provided seminars to law conferences for over 15 years on these topics. Mr. Young is a long-time member of CATAIR, HFES, CARSP, and ASTM. See our website at www.aforensics.ca for additional information. We also offer the option of fixed file quotes GUARANTEED within 10%. View Advantage Forensics' Consulting Profile.